Hi, it’s Ani
Does the news stress you out? Ugh. It totally stresses me out. Especially now. But art helps keep the world away for a while, don’t you think?
Born this way
Wish I had an exciting story to tell you about how art and I found each other. The truth is, I grew up with a pencil in my hand. Literally. Art kept me company. It became my identity. No one else in the family ever drew anything.
The answer was never “artist” to the question “What do you want to be when you grow up?” Why would I want to be an artist if I already was one? Was that even a job? My answer was “architect” or “fashion designer.” But somehow I ended up in art school. Should I have gone? Probably not. But I went. Flunked my senior year and didn’t graduate with my friends. I’m over it now. Or am I?
By accident, (also, for money) I started working as a graphic designer. Totally self-taught. I never stopped drawing and painting, but it became a hobby, fitting in whenever. Until now. My childhood identity has come back! Yay!
A few fun tidbits
• I’ve lived in five houses on the same street — one twice, years apart.
• I love to make a dinner of all appetizers (here’s my cookbook.)
• Favorite movie? Jean Cocteau’s “La Belle et la Bête” (Beauty and the Beast.)
• Every fall, when the leaves changed color, there was leaf-painting frenzy in my studio
• But it may be over
• I have zero willpower when it comes to popcorn.